Monday, November 8, 2010

First Music Monday!

Here it is the first of what I hope to be many Music Mondays. I seem to have this pattern, where I find a song, or several, that I like a lot, so I play it over and over and over again. Then I start to like how it sounds with other songs, so I make a playlist. There was a point in my life that I was making weekly playlists. As of lately I have cut down on that but I still feel there are songs that just capture me and leave wanting more.
There are a few criteria for the kidnapping of my musical lust. First as a dancer, the song should have dance ability to it. Now I don’t mean the whole booty popping, shake what your mama gave you dance ability (even though I do have a few of those that I have played to exhaustion) but is it something that I could see myself making into a piece of choreography? Second, do the lyrics shake me to the core, if the song has lyrics and the said lyrics cause me to say something along the lines of “story of my life” then it has a 95% chance of ending up as something I will play on repeat. Again this doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy songs that aren’t lyrical genius (Poker Face, one of my favorites) but usually sense I sometimes can’t express whatever it is that I am going through, I use music. Finally, I have to like it. Simple enough, if it is something that just makes me want to sing (badly) at the top of my lungs, dance around my apartment to the point where I usually end up dizzy, or so good I want to post it as a Facebook status than most likely, I will find a way to put it on repeat.
As of lately there are just a few songs that I am completely obsessed with.
First of Pryo by Kings of Leon. First off I have to say that The Kings of Leon are some sexy, sexy men. Most of their music brings us back to the dirty southern Lynyrd Skynyrd type rock, that makes us want to not shower, smoke Marlboros and drink lots and lots of dirty whisky. This song, while it has some of the dirty rock feel. It is soft and it is the kind of thing that you hope a lover will play for you one day when you go to leave their apartment and they don’t want you to go.
Since this was a long post I will only bore you with two songs, the second appeals to the lyrical aspect of my music criterion, Ray LaMontagne’s and the Pariah Dogs’ Like Rock& Roll and the Radio. The lyrics in this song tell the story of two people who were once very much in love, and after circumstances beyond their control, they are not only no longer in love anymore, but they don’t even talk. They act like the other doesn’t exists, a feeling and an experience that is all too familiar. This song literally brought me to tears the first time I heard it, and it was so moving and brought up so many things I didn’t want to deal with that it took me about 2 weeks until I could listen again. But it has made me realize, is that not the point of music, to shake you to your very core?
Listen, like them, don’t like them, it is up to you. That is the other thing about music, in the end, no matter how famous it may be your taste in it is personal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdYtJ2H2-IU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctzpSnU6OUc

No comments:

Post a Comment